|Job Title||Research and Learning Fellow|
|Department||Research and Learning|
|Reports to||Research and Learning Director|
|Location||Migori County, Kenya|
|Fellowship Duration||12 months|
Application Deadline: May 15th, 2023
Lwala Community Alliance (Lwala) is a community-led innovator proving that when communities lead, change is drastic and lasting. Lwala village, a small community in rural western Kenya, founded the organization as a response to extreme health challenges. The region experiences some of the highest HIV, maternal mortality, and infant mortality rates in East Africa. As such, community members built their area’s first health center.
From these humble beginnings, we are now the largest provider of health services for a population of over 90,000. The work extends far beyond the original hospital as we support communities in their homes, schools, and farms to advance their own comprehensive well-being. We address the complex causes of poor health through a multi-dimensional strategy, which engages community members in driving their own change.
Our community-led health model centers on 4 pillars:
We believe that driving community participation is the most effective way to improve health outcomes and build durable health systems. We connect community innovation with university-backed research to tackle the multidimensional causes of poor health. This bottom-up change promises solutions that are custom-built for the systems they are meant to reform.
The Research and Learning Fellow is overseen by the Research and Learning Director and works closely with the Research and Learning Coordinator. The research and learning fellow will support the research and learning team to carry out research and learning on Lwala’s successes in the region.
Personal attributes required for the Role
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment.
• Demonstrated team player.
• Confident self-starter who has demonstrated drive.
• Excellent organization skills, ability to independently prioritize multiple tasks and work to deadlines.
• Ability to learn quickly and take initiative.
• Patience and resilience.
• Self-motivation and resourcefulness.
Academic and work experience requirements for the Role
• A degree or relevant experience in international development, public health, public administration, statistics or related field.
• A background in research, data analysis, and/or support of M&E systems and design.
• Strong writing abilities, both creative and analytical, preferably with strong editing skills.
• Experience with electronic data collection systems/languages (e.g., Commcare, ODK, REDcap, SurveyCTO) – or keen interest to learn.
• A proven ability to work with teams to build capacity in technical areas.
• Successful experience working with people from different cultural backgrounds.
• Interest in Information and Communication Technologies for Development (ICT4D) and Public/Community Health.
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Research and Learning Fellow”.