Reports to: Clinical Services Coordinator
Location: Migori, Kenya
Start Date: April 2023
Founded by a group of committed Kenyans, Lwala builds the capacity of rural communities to advance their own comprehensive well-being. We support communities to design, implement, and evaluate solutions to their most pressing health challenges. Then, we build coalitions of communities, health workers, government, and universities to generate evidence of impact and infuse these insights into the formal health system in Kenya and beyond. This bottom-up change promises holistic solutions that are custom-built for the systems they are meant to reform.
1. Position Purpose
The position is responsible for ensuring that the Lwala Community Hospital provides quality diagnostic ultrasound services to patients. The position holder will be required to operate from Lwala Community Hospital while supporting MOH partner facilities in Migori County.
The responsibilities of the Ultra-Sonographer include but are not limited to:
- Performing accurate ultrasound tests of a particular area of the body (primarily obstetric but including other types of scans), based on clinical requests.
- Scheduling patients and explaining sonographic procedures to patients and answering questions.
- Organizing and performing initial patient evaluation, providing diagnostic radiographs, performing ultrasound and doppler examinations by capturing images of diagnostic value.
- Monitoring and caring for patients to ensure their safety and comfort during the procedure.
- Analyzing test results from the ultrasound equipment; presenting calculations and measurements of the images performed for a diagnosis and treatment plan.
- Assisting physicians and healthcare teams during invasive procedures.
- Conducting consultations with the clinical team and supervisors on regular basis.
- Providing support and training nurses/RCOs and other cadres on obstetric ultrasound.
- Ensuring that radiation safety measures and protection are observed, in compliance with government regulations as well as safety to patients, staff and self.
- Completing appropriate documentation and maintaining patients' histories, medical records and billing procedures.
- Supporting the organization in developing imaging services for the patient population.
Qualifications and Experience
Level of education / academic qualification
- Minimum of a Diploma or Higher Diploma in Imaging from a recognized institution and licensed to practice in Kenya
Specialized training / professional qualifications
- At least three years' progressive experience providing imaging services in a busy hospital
- Strong technical, communication, interpersonal, and patient engagement skills.
- A deft at taking and interpreting images for accurate diagnoses.
Other competencies / abilities / skills required
- Systems thinker: You think in terms of the whole operating structure.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, training/meeting facilitation skills.
- High degree of independence, flexibility, initiative and commitment.
Relevant work experience
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience in direct health service delivery
- Ability to travel and work with rural communities in Migori County
- Commitment to impact – The individual should be passionate about Lwala’s mission and the population we serve, and relentless in pursuit of generating evidence and learning to understand our impact as we test our community-based innovations and scale with government and partners.
- Communication skills – Strong written and verbal communications skills are essential, in particular, the ability to communicate complex thoughts and ideas simply and effectively and tailor communications to the non-technical audience.
- Energy, motivation and stamina - The role can be demanding and, at times, subject to external pressures for timely completion. The candidate must be adaptive, creative, organized, and highly motivated.
2. Authority / Independent Action
The job is performed in accordance with standard procedures and guidance with occasional need for independent decision. It is guided by the professional standards outlined in the respective professional field and must be performed without compromise to those standards.
It makes recommendation to the management on issues relating to management of clinical services - supplies, drugs and equipment that enable effective service delivery.
3. Resource Management Responsibility
- The job provides responsibility for human and material resources.
4. Working Conditions
The job is conducted in the health facilities within the sub counties which Lwala supports in the implementation of health solutions. The position may require the incumbent to travel from facility to facility within Migori county.
There is exposure to risks that come with handling people with diverse medical conditions especially infectious diseases as well as handling of dangerous medical equipment and substances. Periodical exposure to adverse weather conditions and risky situations is a possibility.
Please follow this link to apply >>> Ultra Sonographer Job Application
The application deadline is 28th February 2022